Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Worst Trip (and best) to Trader Joe's ever. I need wine.

Today we crossed THE BRIDGE to Mt. Pleasant. We rarely cross the bridge so even though it is actually a very short trip, it seems like we are going out of town. It did take 30 minutes to get to Trader Joe's though with traffic and by the time we got there the kids were antsy. 

My main goal was to stock our wine rack and get some champagne for a baby shower I'm hosting this wknd. Louis (16 mos old) lost it about 15 minutes in. A tantrum like I've never seen....from either of my children. It started bc I was making him sit on his bottom rather than riding in the buggy surfer style standing up. Chill dude.
My first thought was to ride it out - I got a few looks but there's no way this would continue if I paid him no attention for this negative behavior right? Wrong. He started writhing and screaming bloody murder crying, staff began to come up to us and check on us, the looks from people got a little more intense and annoyed. My blood pressure was rising, I gave him a bag of edamame to play with (Ooooh! Its cooold!) He hated it. He hated life. So then I was running thru the store yelling at Betty (4yrs old) to keep up. Basically doing a Supermarket Sweep...who knows what I was throwing into the cart. I wasn't giving up so easily just because WE CAME ACROSS THE BRIDGE Y'ALL. It was far! 
Then he took it to a new level and multiple people came up to attempt to console him and/or me. I threw in the towel. Left my full buggy dramatically in front of alot of customers and took the kids to the car. Louis was consoled as soon as he had a cracker in his mouth (its not like I'm starving the child - he had JUST finished 2nd snack!).
I'm buckling in the children, turn the car on with AC full blast bc I am visibly sweating (gross) and turn around to see a manager walking to me. 
Very sweet - "M'am do you need any help?"
Me: "No. Thank you though - my children..."
Him: "No need to explain - I could just stay near the car if you want to go back in and check out?"
Me: "Omg - would you? The children are fine and buckled in - I just need to be sure no one takes off with them!" (Don't judge. I know I was SUPER trusting but I was kinda grasping at straws here. He was super nice, had a manager name tag and we're in Mt. Pleasant so its cool.)

So I run in, everyone is STARING at me thinking whattha hell did she do with her children.
I find my full cart and get in the LONGEST LINE EVER. Finally check out and get outside and he (his name was Chris Spina) and another employee (Kim) are waiting near my car with flowers for me to cheer me up. I kinda run towards them bc checkout took so long (and of course in that time period I start thinking - what did I just do? I just left my kids with a random bc he had a name tag!!!! omg) 
So I'm running towards them and saying thankful things to them (bc they actually were pleasant people with nothing but good intentions - how refreshing) and MY CASE OF WINE SLIDES OUT FROM UNDER THE BUGGY AND ROLLS ONTO THE PAVEMENT AND BREAKS - WINE AND GLASS EVERYWHERE. And I proceed to bust out crying. 
Omg.
Chris (my bff at this point) pats my back and says "No worries honey - you go get the other groceries in the car and tend to the children and I will clean this up and Kim is already on her way to replace the broken wine and the get a new box"
I am a HOT MESS at this point and just kinda muffle "Ok" (blubber, blubber, blubber)

So they did that, I got home, the kids are in fed and in bed and I am drinking said wine.
There are good people in the world (Chris & Kim at Trader Joes) and crazy people in the world (me). 
I'm really glad they were there. 

Thank you for my flowers y'all. 
And my wine :)
I'm calling corporate now to brag on you.
Going above and beyond for this frazzled mama.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, what a good post. My eyes are tearing up just from your description of frustration, but I'm laughing too. Wow what a day, tomorrow will be much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best quote ever - "I just left my kids with a random bc he had a name tag!!!! omg" So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought all the chaos was over and then? The wine. Oh dear. Love random kind people.
    ps) can't WAIT to have kids. :)

    ReplyDelete